From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2010 12:22 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Automatic Updates has humongous datastore.edb and memory
consumption

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Carl Houseman <c.house...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking at an XP Pro SP3 desktop yesterday/today and soon after booting,
the
> startup of the Automatic Updates service (wuauserv) is just killing it,
> using up all RAM and stalling everything due to all the swapping.

  There's a bug in WU or MSI or both or something that can cause it to
go insane and act that way.  A fix was released via WU to prevent it
from going in sane in the first place, but once it's happened it has
to be manually lobotomized to make it sane again.  It seems everybody
ends up writing a script to do this.  Here's mine:

http://sites.google.com/site/mailvortex/windows/install/wu-au-client-reinit

-- Ben