From: Matthew W. Ross [mailto:mr...@ephrataschools.org]
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 9:54 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Mac and Windows mix

Macs are not the burden you make them sound to be.

Integrating a Mac into a windows network is never going to be painless; the two
systems are inherently different. If what you want is a Windows experience from
your Mac, install Windows.

Now not everybody likes MacOS X, but the same can be said for Windows. Insert
the problem of subjective preference here.

Personally, I love working on my iMac, and managing the other Macs in our
district is very easy if you use the provided Apple tools: Mac OS X server,
Open Directory, and Apple Remote Desktop.

Then again, I hate how a Mac _can_ cost 2x as much as a comparable PC. I do
like that software upgrades are cheaper for Mac, but I don't like how apple
drops support for anything that is not the current generation or the previous
one. If you're 2 generations back, you're out of luck.

What can a Mac do that a PC Can't? Nothing. But I would argue that competition
is one of the pillars of innovation. Without Mac OS X competing against
Windows, what would Windows look like today?

--Matt Ross
Ephrata School District