Thoughts in line.,.

--Matt Ross
Ephrata School District

On Sep 7, 2010, at 10:31 AM, "David Lum" <david....@nwea.org> wrote:

> I have come up with a list:
>
> Here's my concerns about bringing Mac into our Windows workplace:
> * Group Policy (specifically our Computer Use Policy banner, and we have
> browser favorites pushed as well)

Correct, Mac OS X does not natively support Active Directory Group Policy. But
it does support these features using Open Directory.

> * Browser support (means IE is no longer the our only officially supported
> browser for internal w/ SharePoint, etc)

Correct, there is no longer a version of IE for the Mac. Blame Microsoft for
this one.

> * Login scripts

Mac OS X supports login hooks, which is very similar. What do you want you
login script to so for you Mac users?

> * SMS reporting on hardware and software

Apple Remote Desktop offers some (if not most) of the same reporting.

> * Patching (Shockwave, Flash, etc).

And with Mac OS X, this is even more difficult. Java and Flash are part of the
Mac OS X "dot" updates (10.6.x) and can regress software to earlier versions.
This was a problem with a Flash vulnerability not too long ago. Combine that
with installers not using the standard .pkg package format, and it becomes very
difficult.

> Can centrally manage these for Macs? Yes. Using only our current tools? Nope.
>
> I don't have a heartache with a mix of Mac and Windows, I have a heartache of
> people in my company thinking it adds no discernable management overhead or
> cost.

I agree completely. I'd management does not want to support two platforms, they
shouldn't.