Well, if the desktop users are non-admins, then they won't be able to
install file sharing programs or iTunes itself. I agree we should do
everything we can to discourage illegal file sharing, but I think that this
whole discussion of iTunes is a red-herring WRT illegal file sharing. iTunes
is NOT a file sharing app. It *is* a front-end for the iTunes store, and
iTunes files do have a tendency to be large, causing problems, but iTunes in
and of itself is not a file-sharing service.

I don't have much experience with iTunes myself, preferring other media
players (not to mention it isn't even available for my preferred O/S) but my
understanding of it is that it presupposes you are going to BUY legitimate
multimedia files from the iTunes store, which is perfectly legal, since you
are paying for the content.

Note that I am NOT condoning the practice of installing iTunes on a work
computer, I'm simply saying that in my PERSONAL opinion, equating iTunes
with illegal file sharing is not correct. There are many other reasons,
previously mentioned by many others, for not wanting to allow iTunes to be
installed on a business computer, but concerns that it encourages illegal
file sharing??? Personally, I think that's incorrect.

My 2¢.

Thanks,
John Aldrich
IT Manager,