There is nothing in this reply that doesn't apply to any other type of file
or program.

--
Mike Gill

From: Erik Goldoff [mailto:egold...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 5:29 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: iTunes

I disagree, even though music files can be copied and shared without any
'software capable of playing them' there is also no reason to enable this
behavior by providing (additional) tools to make the task easier, especially
when there is no business case to support the tool.

I have been in the situation in the past where even though there was an HR
policy against personal files being stored on the network shares ( we did
not back up workstations ) the backups were slowed by gigabyte after
gigabyte after gigabyte of personal audio and video files that some end
users collected.  At best, it was less than 10% of the user population that
added over 60 minutes to the backup/restore window, and cluttered the online
shares intended for business use.

Legal responsibility for copyright issues aside, I liken this to running a
restaurant or grocery store, where the employees fill up the refridgerator
space with their personal items, displacing space intended for official use,
taking advantage of the operational expense ( power, maintenance, etc ) all
the while making it harder to locate items intended for business