+1 with ASB's assessment,

Malware analysis is a very hot topic these days and the attackers are
only limited by their imagination of what they can pack in a seemingly
"harmless" MP3, MP4, PDF, Doc etc etc file. Because they know what is
triggering the vulnerability ( either publically known, or privately)
and make sure their "exploit" has a high probability of bypassing
scanning engines ( its it's a 0 DAY, and private, which the trend has
been lately) then the AV vendors and others are already behind the ball
in signatures, which means the surface area for attack on the
vulnerability remains  high without mitigating controls in place.

Its all about process execution and controlling that execution so that
only "allowed" applications and their code are able to run and
everything else is denied, without that you are still susceptible to
being 0wned, and even with controlling the process execution, sometimes
you can still get 0wned.

Edward E. Ziots

CISSP, Network +, Security +

Network Engineer