And 'round and 'round we go...

"...Well, from what you say, you change out your gear relatively often,

since that's part of your "technology and depreciation cycle".  Or so

you argued earlier.  So how it makes sense that you wouldn't see

failures that might happen after a longer period of time."

It's industry best-practice... again, there's a reason the product went EoL.
I'm sure even HP would tell you to replace an EoL product.

"...If Cisco knows that, why does Cisco exclude fans and power supplies

from their warranty?

Because it unnecessarily costs them money in the long run.  If the product was
going to fail, it will likely fail during the warranty period.  Failing outside
of the warranty period is considered normal wear/tear... why should they be
responsible for it?

Equivocate all you want -- HP's got the better warranty."

I don't think I ever "equivocated" that Cisco had a better warranty.  Merely,
that I feel their support is better... even though you have to pay for it.

"...They aren't, but you are suggesting that if equipment is 5 years

past end-of-life, then one shouldn't be using the equipment any more.

Perhaps that's just your opinion, and not Cisco's mindset.  Fair

enough.  But if I'm still using that equipment, Cisco won't support it HP will."

No argument there... but it's not my opinion by the way.  It's considered best
practice to routinely refresh your network infrastructure... why do servers get
replaced every 3-4-5-6 years?

"...Offering a better warranty is a lame attempt to acquire market

share?  I'm perplexed.  You apparently think offering better support

is "lame".    <irony> I mean, how *dare* they offer better support!

The nerve!  </irony>  Does that also mean that if HP is  building a

better product, that is a "lame attempt to acquire market share"?"

Nope... but COOL use of HTML tags!  Now I really feel inferior.  Here, let me
try... <rebuttal> It's lame because people always want to yell from the
rooftops about how HP's ProCurve switches are SOOOO much better of a product,
yet no one can come up with concrete numbers of truly how much better they are
and why.  When asked, it's simply ... "Well they have a better warranty and
free support."  Big freakin' deal.  Seriously... the best HP can do to prove
how much better they are than Cisco is to show that their warranty is better?
Does that make a Kia better than a Cadillac?</rebuttal>

"...The cost of support is included in the cost of the product.  It's

not "free".  There was a time when if you bought something, customer

service came with it.  You didn't have to pay extra just to get a

company to stand behind their product.  HP has largely gotten away

from that, unfortunately, but their networking division still holds to

it."

Wait... it's not free?  Now I'm confused.  By the way, Cisco's not forcing you
to pay extra for their lifetime warranty... excluding the argument of who's
warranty is better.

"...I've found the ProCurve front line support techs to by quite knowledgeable,
cluefull,

willing and able to help.  How often have you called HP support?"

For the last time... I'm not arguing that HP doesn't have good support, simply
that you get what you pay for.  I've spoken with HP support quite a bit
actually.  They are a pleasure to deal with, but DO lack when it comes to
complex integration problems.

"...So, I believe what you're saying is: What one division is doing has

nothing to do with another division.  Hmmm, that  sounds familiar..."

What?  I didn't come up with that logic... it was presented to me.

"...I've found that while paying too little generally means you get

less, paying more doesn't always mean you get proportionally more."

Umm... yes, this is the point I've been trying to make.

"...Cisco purchased their switching division in 1993; it used to be

Crescendo[1].  I believe HP has been making network switches/repeaters

longer than that, although I don't have a source handy.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crescendo_Communications";

Fair enough...

"...Why shouldn't we count that?  It was an HP product line.  It

included network switches.  Why don't those switches count?"

"...They made network switches.  I don't  know what you consider

"networking devices", but I count switches."

I stand corrected... I considered them all hubs, but apparently they made one
line of switches.

"...67% and dropping[2].

[2] http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/022210-ethernet-switch-market.html";

...OK... an extra 5% because HP acquired 3Com I suppose?

"...They've been making Ethernet gear for decades.  They design and build their
own switch ASICs.   HP claimed to be the second-largest

switch vendor in 2008, and to be growing more than three times as fast as the
rest of the industry[3].  Then, of course, they bought 3Com -- who literally
*invented* the commercial Ethernet market.  So they've got credentials, and
they're in a position to know what they're doing.

[3] http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2008/080527a.html";

No doubt... not sure when/if I argued against this?  HP has a great product...
and they certainly have the credentials.  I still think Cisco has a better
(though more expensive) product.  Is this just shared as an FYI, or was there a
point here?

"...I doubt Cisco really has *that* much of an edge in knowledge.  So

now we're even: We both doubt the other's vague, unsourced,

unquantifiable statements."

Sure... sounds good.  Agree to disagree.

"...You asked about liability; I answered.  If the sun explodes, you'll

never get your replacement product.  But yes, they really do promise

to ship overnight, which Cisco does not.  In writing."

"...Let me get this straight: HP quotes Cisco's own contract, and does

better, but that... doesn't mean they're better?"

Fine... they'll ship overnight, and their terms are better.  Never argued that.
 I'm only arguing that HP is taking the fine print about a worst case scenario
on the RMA process and showing how they do it better - when in fact they are
bound by that *same* worst case verbiage... they just don't come out and say
it.  Kudos to them, but I just don't think it's a major selling point.  Your
mileage may vary.  Shame on Cisco, I suppose.

"...I had a customer whose 10/100 managed repeater finally died. HP

shipped a 10/100 managed switch."

Oh OK... argument resolved then.

"...Others on this list have reported similar stories."

Let them speak...

"...Doubt all you want, that's what they've done.  But I guess you'd

rather deny facts than consider the possibility that Cisco is

overpriced."

Hah!  What?  When did I ever "deny facts" that Cisco is overpriced?  They ARE
some of the most over-priced products out there.  But they ARE also some of the
best products out there.

"...Interesting.  Three paragraphs up, you're claiming that HP citing

Cisco's warranty *in writing* isn't a fair comparison.  But now you

want something in writing."

What?  Not quite sure what you're getting at here... But yes... since this
warranty is apparently the end-all-be-all warranty of warranties, and HP will
give you "something better" when your product dies, where *in writing* does it
say this?

"...But anyway: "HP will, at its option, repair or replace the affected

products."  Page 11 of our ProCurve license-and-warranty booklet, HP

P/N 5990-8862.  They don't promise something better, but they promise

to repair or *replace*.  In writing."

Exactly... they don't promise to replace with something better.  Just that
they'll repair/replace "at their option."  Interesting verbiage don't you
think?  I thought hands down you just got a new one when yours didn't work?

Aaron T. Rohyans

Senior Network Engineer

CCIE #21945

DPSciences Corporation

7400 N. Shadeland Ave., Suite 245

Indianapolis, IN 46250

Office:  (317) 348-0099

Fax:   (317) 849-7134

arohy...@dpsciences.com

http://www.dpsciences.com/

"I want an Anti-Virus system that sends Arnold back in time to kill the hacker
as a small child before he invents the virus..."

"There are 10 kinds of people in this world... those who can read binary, and
those who can't"

> In 15 years of working with this stuff, I can count on one hand how many fan

> failures I've had in Cisco gear...

  Well, from what you say, you change out your gear relatively often,

since that's part of your "technology and depreciation cycle".  Or so

you argued earlier.  So how it makes sense that you wouldn't see

failures that might happen after a longer period of time.

> My point is that HP knows this... as does Cisco... the odds

> of their gear failing like this are slim unless due to a defect in

> production...

  If Cisco knows that, why does Cisco exclude fans and power supplies

from their warranty?

  Equivocate all you want -- HP's got the better warranty.

>> "...In my experience, in many organizations, network equipment has a

>> much longer lifecycle than computers.  A great many places *still*

>> don't need anything more than 100 megabit to the desktop.  So a 10-15

>> year usable lifetime isn't unrealistic.  Obviously some shops need to

>> upgrade more often than that, but many don't.

>>  I like that with ProCurve, I get to decide when my equipment is

>> obsolete; HP doesn't do it for me."

> How is Cisco forcing you to change out your gear just because a product goes

> EoL?

  They aren't, but you are suggesting that if equipment is 5 years

past end-of-life, then one shouldn't be using the equipment any more.

Perhaps that's just your opinion, and not Cisco's mindset.  Fair

enough.  But if I'm still using that equipment, Cisco won't support it

--  HP will.

> "...What does that have to do with what switch I should buy?"

> It's a lame attempt to acquire market share by offering free support on the

> product line.

  Offering a better warranty is a lame attempt to acquire market

share?  I'm perplexed.  You apparently think offering better support

is "lame".    <irony> I mean, how *dare* they offer better support!

The nerve!  </irony>  Does that also mean that if HP is  building a

better product, that is a "lame attempt to acquire market share"?

> Free support?  That sounds cheap to me... like

> consumer grade (NOTE that I am *not* calling HP ProCurve consumer grade).

  The cost of support is included in the cost of the product.  It's

not "free".  There was a time when if you bought something, customer

service came with it.  You didn't have to pay extra just to get a

company to stand behind their product.  HP has largely gotten away

from that, unfortunately, but their networking division still holds to

it.

> If I don't have to pay for it, what kind of "brainchild" individuals are

> manning the TAC?

 I've found the ProCurve front line support techs to by quite

knowledgeable, cluefull,

willing and able to help.  How often have you called HP support?

> Why not offer free lifetime support/replacement on

> PCs/Servers/Monitors/etc?

  Again: What one division is doing has nothing to do with another division.

-- Ben