On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:01 PM, Rohyans, Aaron
<arohy...@dpsciences.com> wrote:
>>> the odds of their gear failing like this are slim
>>> unless due to a defect in production…
>>
>> …If Cisco knows that, why does Cisco exclude fans and power supplies
>> from their warranty?
>
> Because it unnecessarily costs them money in the long run.

  So... the odds of it happening are slim, but it unnecessarily costs
them money.

>> Equivocate all you want -- HP's got the better warranty.”
>
> I don’t think I ever “equivocated” that Cisco had a better warranty.

  No, but you seemed pretty intent that Cisco's was just as good, with
statements like:

> ... why do servers get replaced every 3-4-5-6 years?

  Because that's the lifecycle that computer equipment (and, more
significantly, operating system software) has.  But for the third time
now, we're not talking servers, we're talking network gear.   You keep
bringing up servers.   Why?

> It’s lame because people always want to yell from the
> rooftops about how HP’s ProCurve switches are SOOOO much better of a
> product, yet no one can come up with concrete numbers of truly how much
> better they are and why.  When asked, it’s simply … “Well they have a better
> warranty and free support.”  Big freakin’ deal.

  So, the reason you like Cisco better is support, but when HP offers
support for no additional cost, it's not a big deal.  ???

  I think ProCurve provides better value than Cisco's stuff does.  Is
Cisco's stuff crap?   No, it's sophisticated and works well.  But *the
same goes for ProCurve*, at significantly lower cost.

> Seriously… the best HP can
> do to prove how much better they are than Cisco is to show that their
> warranty is better?

  The product is equivalent in all other relevant ways, and has a
better warranty and support package.  Yes, that makes it a better
value.

>> “…The cost of support is included in the cost of the product.  It's
>> not "free".  There was a time when if you bought something, customer
>> service came with it.  You didn't have to pay extra just to get a
>> company to stand behind their product.  HP has largely gotten away
>> from that, unfortunately, but their networking division still holds to
>> it.”
>
> Wait… it’s not free?  Now I’m confused.

  "Free" was your term, not mine.

> For the last time… I’m not arguing that HP doesn’t have good support ...

  Really?  Then what was your intent with statements like these:

>>> HP will gladly throw new equipment your way and let you talk to a low-end
>>> tech all day long if it’ll make you happy

>> “…So, I believe what you're saying is: What one division is doing has
>> nothing to do with another division.  Hmmm, that  sounds familiar...”
>
> What?  I didn’t come up with that logic… it was presented to me.

  Go back, read that again, then read the exchange immediately above it.

>> “…67% and dropping[2].
>
> …OK… an extra 5% because HP acquired 3Com I suppose?

  Um, no.  If there are 100 apples to go around, and I have 67 of
them, you have 10 of them, and Bob has 1, and Bob gives you his apple,
I still have 67 apples.

>> They've been making Ethernet gear for decades.  They design and build
>> their own switch ASICs.   HP claimed to be the second-largest
>> switch vendor in 2008, and to be growing more than three times as fast as
>> the rest of the industry[3].  Then, of course, they bought 3Com -- who
>> literally *invented* the commercial Ethernet market.  So they've got
>> credentials, and they're in a position to know what they're doing.
>
> No doubt… not sure when/if I argued against this?

  When you asked:

>>> And what is “extensive” layer 2 knowledge?

  That was when/if.

> Fine… they’ll ship overnight, and their terms are better.  Never argued
> that.

  Um:

>>> HP is simply taking worst-case verbiage from Cisco and
>>> turning it around to show you how much better they are... err, aren’t.

-- Ben