I have not measured our file I/O, I don't even know how to do that. If you
can point me towards some tools I'll do so.
Current storage on our two servers is about 1/2 terabyte each, with about
half that full. Currently our only backup is to mirror the two servers
(domain controllers, etc.) I do not believe that we have sufficient storage
to migrate critical folders from everyone's desktops to the server, and we
are not hosting email in-house. We have about 85-90 users, and knowing how
no one likes to delete email (particularly sales folks) I expect that we
will need more storage. According to our ISP's server, we're using about 600
megs. I know some of our sales reps have complained because I limit their
mail store to about 50-60 megs. I could probably limit it to 100 megs and
they'd complain. :-)
As to the number of "heavy duty" vs Light Duty, I'd guess somewhere around
20-30 "heavy" users (mostly sales folks) and the other 2/3 are probably
20-30 emails per day users.
I want to get the storage role off our domain controllers, and possibly use
the hardware to run VMWare and convert the DCs to virtual servers as well as
running our third "server" machine (Windows 2000 Server hosting our Time and
Attendance software) as a virtual machine as well. According to the work
load, the current DCs (Poweredge 2900 machines with dual quad-core Xeons)
are just loafing and I'd like to put them to better use. That being said, I
can't really do anything with them until such time as I have somewhere to
put the disk images, etc.
Email will most likely be Kerio Connect due to the cost constraints and
needed feature sets. Per Kerio, putting the email store on a SAN *is*
supported.
I figure I should have about 5 Terabytes useable storage to do what I want,
as well as leave room for growth, snapshots, etc.