From: richardmccl...@aspca.org [mailto:richardmccl...@aspca.org]
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 11:34 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: SAN question

When examining bells and whistles, and since you are intending to move user
files to the unit...  Be sure to get one which offers data de-duplication.
 That can cut storage needs considerably!  (NYC HQ has it; we lust for it!)

Be sure you understand how each "choice" handles snap-shotting.

Above all, I'd say getting user files off the DCs is a must!
--
Richard D. McClary
Systems Administrator, Information Technology Group

richardmccl...@aspca.org

P: 217-337-9761
C: 217-417-1182
F: 217-337-9761
www.aspca.org

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is
from The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA®)
and is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may
contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not
the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying or use of the contents of this e-mail,
and any attachments hereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please immediately notify me by reply email and
permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout
thereof.

"John Aldrich" <jaldr...@blueridgecarpet.com> wrote on 09/23/2010 10:12:28
AM:

> I have not measured our file I/O, I don't even know how to do that. If you
> can point me towards some tools I'll do so.
> Current storage on our two servers is about 1/2 terabyte each, with about
> half that full. Currently our only backup is to mirror the two servers
> (domain controllers, etc.) I do not believe that we have sufficient
storage
> to migrate critical folders from everyone's desktops to the server, and we
> are not hosting email in-house. We have about 85-90 users, and knowing how
> no one likes to delete email (particularly sales folks) I expect that we
> will need more storage. According to our ISP's server, we're using about
600
> megs. I know some of our sales reps have complained because I limit their
> mail store to about 50-60 megs. I could probably limit it to 100 megs and
> they'd complain. :-)
> As to the number of "heavy duty" vs Light Duty, I'd guess somewhere around
> 20-30 "heavy" users (mostly sales folks) and the other 2/3 are probably
> 20-30 emails per day users.
> I want to get the storage role off our domain controllers, and possibly
use
> the hardware to run VMWare and convert the DCs to virtual servers as well
as
> running our third "server" machine (Windows 2000 Server hosting our Time
and
> Attendance software) as a virtual machine as well. According to the work
> load, the current DCs (Poweredge 2900 machines with dual quad-core Xeons)
> are just loafing and I'd like to put them to better use. That being said,
> can't really do anything with them until such time as I have somewhere to
> put the disk images, etc.
> Email will most likely be Kerio Connect due to the cost constraints and
> needed feature sets. Per Kerio, putting the email store on a SAN *is*
> supported.
> I figure I should have about 5 Terabytes useable storage to do what I
want,
> as well as leave room for growth, snapshots, etc.

EQ