From: Raper, Jonathan - Eagle [mailto:jra...@eaglemds.com]
Subject: RE: Consultants

"I'm not sure what my requirements are.... which is why I want to hire a
consultant/consulting engineer to help me figure out what my needs are"

My $0.02....Forget hiring a consultant for now. If you're dead set on
getting a consultant, feel free to email me off-list. My rates are
reasonable.

You need to sit down with the business owners and explain:

These are our applications:

App1

App2

App3

These are our data sets:

Dataset1

Dataset2

Dataset3

Then you need to ask the questions of the business owners/department heads
for each application/dataset:

What happens to the business if this specific app/dataset is unavailable for
(as an example):

1 hour

4 hours

1 day

2 days

3 days

1 week

2 weeks

1 month

You also need to list weaknesses and vulnerabilities of your
network/data/applications/etc, which may alter the perspective of your
business owners (particularly for anything that may be unique to your
environment).

Then ask, "What does it cost the business per hour/day/week in terms of lost
revenue or productivity dollars if this application/dataset is unavailable?"
This gives you a framework within which you can come up with a reasonable
budget for your solution.

THEN, MAYBE it will be time for you to hire a consultant.