From: Webster [mailto:carlwebs...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:52 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Consultants

I had 1 client that had to be back up and running within 30 seconds to the
disaster recovery center.  They had calculated downtime as costing them just
over $100,000 per minute!  They spent almost $10,000,000 getting their HA/FT/DR
stuff setup and tested.  They spent almost $1,000,000 just in Citrix NetScalers
to ensure their users would be automatically routed to the DR site when needed.

I also have another customer that from January 2 thru April 30 must be up and
running with access to all data with "2 to 4 hours".  After April 30, they have
a 5 day timeframe to be back running with access to all data.  Their HA/FT/DR
costs are a lot less than the first customer.

Webster

From: Raper, Jonathan - Eagle [mailto:jra...@eaglemds.com]

"I'm not sure what my requirements are.... which is why I want to hire a
consultant/consulting engineer to help me figure out what my needs are"

My $0.02....Forget hiring a consultant for now. If you're dead set on getting a
consultant, feel free to email me off-list. My rates are reasonable.

You need to sit down with the business owners and explain:

These are our applications:

App1
App2
App3

These are our data sets:

Dataset1
Dataset2
Dataset3

Then you need to ask the questions of the business owners/department heads for
each application/dataset:

What happens to the business if this specific app/dataset is unavailable for
(as an example):

1 hour
4 hours
1 day
2 days
3 days
1 week
2 weeks
1 month

You also need to list weaknesses and vulnerabilities of your
network/data/applications/etc, which may alter the perspective of your business
owners (particularly for anything that may be unique to your environment).

Then ask, "What does it cost the business per hour/day/week in terms of lost
revenue or productivity dollars if this application/dataset is unavailable?"
This gives you a framework within which you can come up with a reasonable
budget for your solution.

THEN, MAYBE it will be time for you to hire a consultant.

Any medical information contained in this electronic message is CONFIDENTIAL
and privileged. It is unlawful for unauthorized persons to view, copy,
disclose, or disseminate CONFIDENTIAL information. This electronic message may
contain information that is confidential and/or legally privileged. It is
intended only for the use of the individual(s) and/or entity named as
recipients in the message. If you are not an intended recipient of this
message, please notify the sender immediately and delete this material from
your computer. Do not deliver, distribute or copy this message, and do not
disclose its contents or take any action in reliance on the information that it
contains.