From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2010 7:25 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Workstation names and who it belongs to

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Don Kuhlman <drkuhl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> We don't relate user names to machine names, but keep a spreadsheet or
> inventory list to say who has what equipment.

  We've got an ad-hoc MS Access database which keeps track of which user a
computer is assigned to.

  We're a small shop, so we don't have site codes or anything like that.
Just "FooPCnnn", where "Foo" is the abbreviated name of the company, and
"nnn" is a sequence number.  I started counting at 100, for no particular
reason beyond "it looked cooler".

  I learned a while ago that embedding details into a computer ID is usually
not worth it.  Especially not a user ID -- equipment changes assignment too
often.

-- Ben