I don't think they are standard serial.

From: richardmccl...@aspca.org [mailto:richardmccl...@aspca.org]
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:57 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: APC USB-to-RJ45 cables

Greetings!

Having solved the issue from TUE (where I needed a serial connection to
a network appliance), I've been wondering...

APC supplies (some of?) their UPS's with USB-to-RJ45 cables.  Might
those be used to make a serial connection?

That is, a network appliance has a "console port", and it is an RJ45
jack.  They supply an RJ45-to-DP9 adaptor to plug into a serial port.
It was suggested to me that I order a DP9-to-USB dongle to complete that
connection to a laptop.

Before I go retrieve one of those and begin playing, has anyone out
there ever used one of those APC cables on the console port of a network
appliance for a (successful) console session?

Thanks...
--
Richard D. McClary
Systems Administrator, Information Technology Group

richardmccl...@aspca.org

P: 217-337-9761
C: 217-417-1182
F: 217-337-9761
www.aspca.org <http://www.aspca.org/>

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is
from The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals(r)
(ASPCA(r)) and is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein
and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If
you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or use of the
contents of this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately notify me by reply email and permanently delete the original
and any copy of this e-mail and any printout thereof.