From: Maglinger, Paul [mailto:pmaglin...@scvl.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 9:04 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: APC USB-to-RJ45 cables

I don't think they are standard serial.

From: richardmccl...@aspca.org [mailto:richardmccl...@aspca.org]
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:57 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: APC USB-to-RJ45 cables

Greetings!

Having solved the issue from TUE (where I needed a serial connection to a
network appliance), I've been wondering...

APC supplies (some of?) their UPS's with USB-to-RJ45 cables.  Might those be
used to make a serial connection?

That is, a network appliance has a "console port", and it is an RJ45 jack.
They supply an RJ45-to-DP9 adaptor to plug into a serial port.  It was
suggested to me that I order a DP9-to-USB dongle to complete that connection to
a laptop.

Before I go retrieve one of those and begin playing, has anyone out there ever
used one of those APC cables on the console port of a network appliance for a
(successful) console session?

Thanks...
--
Richard D. McClary
Systems Administrator, Information Technology Group

richardmccl...@aspca.org

P: 217-337-9761
C: 217-417-1182
F: 217-337-9761
www.aspca.org<http://www.aspca.org/>

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is from
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals(r) (ASPCA(r)) and
is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain
legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying or use of the contents of this e-mail, and any
attachments hereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately notify me by reply email and permanently delete the
original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout thereof.

or send an email to

or send an email to