From: "Phil Brutsche" <p...@optimumdata.com>
Date: Fri, Dec 10, 2010 7:54 pm
Subject: Small/Mid Firewall?
To: "NT System Admin Issues" <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>

Ixnay on any sort of PIX, they were end of sale years ago and hit end of
support last summer. The current-day replacement is the ASA. The
equivalent to the PIX 501 is the ASA 5505.

Like it or not, IPv6 is a feature any sort of network infrastructure
equipment MUST have; it is also another thing that puts a nail in the
coffin of any PIX less than a 515 (IPv6 was added in 7.0 code which is
only supported on the 515 and up).

An ASA 5505 can do dual WAN, but with one caveat: you need the Security
Plus license on it. An ASA 5505 with Security Plus is $1k-ish.

Other options: Cisco IOS security routers, model #s 1811 or 891. They
are both $800-ish new. The 891 replaces the 1811, which will be end of
sale in April/May.

--

Phil Brutsche
p...@optimumdata.com

Any medical information contained in this electronic message is CONFIDENTIAL
and privileged. It is unlawful for unauthorized persons to view, copy,
disclose, or disseminate CONFIDENTIAL information. This electronic message may
contain information that is confidential and/or legally privileged. It is
intended only for the use of the individual(s) and/or entity named as
recipients in the message. If you are not an intended recipient of this
message, please notify the sender immediately and delete this material from
your computer. Do not deliver, distribute or copy this message, and do not
disclose its contents or take any action in reliance on the information that it
contains.