I did confirm that running this command:

dnscmd /config /enableednsprobes 0

resolves the problem, and that running this command:

dnscmd /config /enableednsprobes 1

reintroduces the problem.  Amounts to a temporary fix until we address the
root cause.  I don't know if we want to leave EDNS functionality disabled
forever.