Photos?

From: James Hill [mailto:hill.ja...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 1:36 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: So...our data centre is under water

If you've seen the news you may have heard that we've had some very serious
flooding here in Brisbane, Australia.  As a result we lost our data centre,
it ended up being completely under water.  We managed to save some
components thanks to some knee high walking in water before it got too high.
A very critical server was later rescued thanks to a boat and some roof
removal.  Walking in to your Data Centre in knee high water is some what
depressing.  Seeing the lights on equipment that is higher in the racks(and
dry) still being powered by the UPS in a dark room filling up with water is
well...uncomforting.

We are now in hectic DR mode and are restoring services as quickly as
possible.  Unfortunately we didn't have a DR location(planning was under way
but nothing was in place) and so a lot of the restore means retrieving data
from tapes and building servers from scratch.

I'm in new territory here and so I'm hoping the list can help me out with
some questions that I know will arise as I work through this mess.

We have secured space in a nice and dry Data centre and have organised WAN
and Internet connectivity(although it's not fired up yet), some rack space,
and have rented VM's and disk space.

We have a 2008 level domain with a mix of 2008 and 2008 R2 DC's.  The two
DC's we lost were running 2008 and held the FSMO roles.  We have C: drive
and system state backups of these.  We have a number of other DC's out in
our stores that are high and dry.  What I would like to do is:-

Create a new DC in the new Data Centre with a new name but running 2008R2
(take the opportunity to upgrade it).

Give it the FSMO roles (is this possible considering the domain level is at
2008 but the server would be 2008 R2)?

Clear out the two lost DC's from AD entirely.

Thoughts, suggestions and messages of sympathy are all welcome.

James.