Depends.
I think I read a best practice that said at least two separate connections.
One for guest access and one for host management.

Possibly a third for backup and fourth for iscsi if needed.

From: Jay Dale [mailto:jd...@unetek.com]
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2011 10:14 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Hyper-V NIC utilization

Hey all,

I am setting up a new Hyper-V server for a company where I am P2V'ing 3 of
their physical servers.  Currently I want to just set up one virtual network,
and if they add servers down the road I will add another.  The physical host
machine comes with 4 NIC's.  My questions are these:

1.       Should I utilize all 4 NIC's on one virtual network, or use only 1 or
2 of them and leave the rest disconnected?

2.       I'm attaching the host to their domain, should I have all the NIC's
utilize static IP's or just one static with one IP and let the rest have DHCP
addresses?

3.       When I attempt to configure 2 NIC's with static IP's, I get the
"multiple gateways" message - is that a bad thing or disregard it?

Thanks for any advice you can pass on!

Jay

Jay Dale
Senior Systems Administrator
Unetek, Inc.
Mobile: 832.373.7883
Email:jd...@unetek.com<mailto:jd...@unetek.com>

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain
confidential and/or privileged information for the sole use of the intended
recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any review, dissemination or copying of this e-mail and attachments, if any, or
the information contained herein, is strictly prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended
recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of
this message.

or send an email to