+1 again for ImageX and WDS.  I abandoned all my other imaging options as
soon I became comfortable with this (which was fast).

-Sam

From: Ben N [mailto:bennordlan...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:20 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Windows 7 Imaging

+1 for imagex and WDS. Free and easy if you already have the servers.

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 6:53 AM, Steve Ens <stevey...@gmail.com> wrote:

+1 for imagex.

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Michael B. Smith <mich...@smithcons.com>
wrote:

I'm a little biased (because I developed courseware for the product), but
the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010 Update 1 is easy to use, light-touch -
and free.

If you need zero touch, System Center Configuration Manager does the job
very well and is infinitely configurable. It isn't, however, free. And it
has a learning curve for that "infinitely configurable" part.

The imaging process for Win7 is based on one of two options: VHD or WIM
(Windows IMaging - and the VHD option is built on-top-of the WIM option,
more-or-less). The preferred tool for creating images is ImageX, which is a
Microsoft product (part of both MDT and SCCM).

Regards,

Michael B. Smith

Consultant and Exchange MVP

http://TheEssentialExchange.com