If you're just going to use your SAN for general storage, why not just get a
cheaper drive array, or even JBOD?  The cost of SAN storage is MUCH higher than
general storage warrants.

>>> John Aldrich <jaldr...@blueridgecarpet.com> 4/8/2011 9:55 AM >>>
Yeah.... I was keeping that in mind... Very good points to consider, too.
:-) Mostly just going to be storing stuff that is primarily used for
reference and things like that. At least that's how we're using our file
server now. Very little "writing" going on, but a lot of "reading" of files.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Hutchings [mailto:paul.hutchi...@mira.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 12:47 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Opinion on rebuilding Raid 5

If you're using Exchange 2010 then you're still not going to be pushing
a lot of IOPS.  It could be more of an issue if you had a SQL or
intensive ERP app etc.

It isn't black and white IMO.  Buy a SAN like an Equallogic and all your
disks are in one big RAID set.  Buy a dumber SAN like an MD3000i and you
can have as few or as many RAID sets as your physical disks support, buy
a P4000 and your nodes give you redundancy as does your RAID level, so
you see what I mean, it isn't a one size fits all thing really.