From:   Sean Martin <seanmarti...@gmail.com>
To:     "NT System Admin Issues" <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
Date:   05/10/2011 03:43 PM
Subject:        Encrypting Event Logs

Good morning/afternoon,

My manager has requested I look for ways to "encrypt the event logs on our
DCs". Apparently during one of our many audits (governing body to remain
nameless) one of the auditors insisted that we should be encrypting the
event logs on our DCs. I have since requested a formal finding be provided
by the auditor indicating the perceived risks so that I can first identify
if we have any mitigating controls already in place.

With that, I thought I would start looking around for specific solutions.
We're currently running Windows 2003 DCs in a Windows 2003 Native AD
environment. I'm not finding a whole lot of solutions specific to
encrypting "event logs". We are planning on introducing Windows 2008 R2
DCs this year so I will research bit locker, but, I'm concered about the
inter-operability with Symantec SIM.

I'm still working with very little information so I'm probably missing a
lot of content. I guess I would just like to find out if anyone else has
received similiar directives from an audit and what solutions or
mitigating controls helped satisfy the auditor's concerns.

- Sean

This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution, copying, or communication of this message is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the
message and any attachments.  Thank you.