From: Sean Martin [mailto:seanmarti...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:43 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Encrypting Event Logs

Good morning/afternoon,

My manager has requested I look for ways to "encrypt the event logs on our
DCs". Apparently during one of our many audits (governing body to remain
nameless) one of the auditors insisted that we should be encrypting the event
logs on our DCs. I have since requested a formal finding be provided by the
auditor indicating the perceived risks so that I can first identify if we have
any mitigating controls already in place.

With that, I thought I would start looking around for specific solutions. We're
currently running Windows 2003 DCs in a Windows 2003 Native AD environment. I'm
not finding a whole lot of solutions specific to encrypting "event logs". We
are planning on introducing Windows 2008 R2 DCs this year so I will research
bit locker, but, I'm concered about the inter-operability with Symantec SIM.

I'm still working with very little information so I'm probably missing a lot of
content. I guess I would just like to find out if anyone else has received
similiar directives from an audit and what solutions or mitigating controls
helped satisfy the auditor's concerns.

- Sean