Just looking for some thoughts/feedback on what others are doing.

We have a number of home workers who have remote access capability based
around Oracle's Secure Global Desktop (a Tarantella WebTop derivative)
and RSA SecurID token technology. The setup is ideal: we give the users
a SecurID token and they use their own home broadband connection and
hardware (PC/Laptop) to access the company systems.

However we had a scenario over last weekend whereby one home worker
decided to upgrade to Internet Explorer 9 and yes you've guessed it
Oracle's Secure Global Desktop stopped working due to Java issues. I've
now been asked to come up with a "cost effective" contingency plan
should such a situation arise again. My initial thoughts would be to get
the users to use Firefox or Safari instead of IE. Although I don't think
you can force users to use something they may be do not want to,
especially as it their own personal kit.

So, it brings me to the question of how do other people/businesses deal
with the whole home worker scenario, especially when faced with hardware
issues or software upgrades gone bad?

Regards,

Rab.

Robert Jackson                                  Phone: +44 (0) 141 332
7999

IT Manager                                           Fax: +44 (0) 141
331 2820

Walker Martyn Ltd

1 Park Circus Place                            Email:
r...@walkermartyn.co.uk <mailto:r...@walkermartyn.co.uk>

Glasgow G3 6AH, Scotland                   Web:
http://www.walkermartyn.co.uk <http://www.walkermartyn.co.uk/>

The information in this internet E-mail is confidential and is intended
solely for the addressee. Access, copying or re-use of information in it
by anyone else is unauthorised. Any views or opinions presented are
Walker Martyn Ltd or any of its affiliates. If you are not the
intended recipient please contact  administra...@walkermartyn.co.uk

Walker Martyn Ltd, company number SC197533. Company is
registered in Scotland and has its registered office at 1 Park
Circus Place, Glasgow G3 6AH, UK.