We allow home/remote work via our Citrix systems.  Many staff have agency
laptops they take with them, and we lock them down so they cannot make
configuration changes.

For users who access Citrix via home computers, we have a disclaimer as to what
versions of browsers and which browsers, and operating systems we support.  We
will also assist with the client install using GoToAssist, but if there are
issues that conflict with our disclaimer, we inform the user we cannot assist.
Some may complain, but our policy is to spend time on agency owned devices, and
we always have a support backlog.

It's easiest to provide equipment.  Users have all sorts of crap on their PCs
that can cause issues.   We have a number of laptops here in our department
that we reserve for check-out for users who are already not assigned a laptop.
There is no way you can account for all the things user could do or install on
their personal devices.

Tom

Tom Miller
Engineer, Information Technology
Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board
757-788-0528
>>> "Robert Jackson" <r...@walkermartyn.co.uk>05/12/11 1:56 AM >>>

<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
We have a number of home workers who have remote access capability based around
Oracle’s Secure Global Desktop (a Tarantella WebTop derivative) and RSA SecurID
token technology. The setup is ideal: we give the users a SecurID token and
they use their own home broadband connection and hardware (PC/Laptop) to access
the company systems.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
However we had a scenario over last weekend whereby one home worker decided to
upgrade to Internet Explorer 9 and yes you’ve guessed it Oracle’s Secure Global
Desktop stopped working due to Java issues. I’ve now been asked to come up with
a “cost effective” contingency plan should such a situation arise again. My
initial thoughts would be to get the users to use Firefox or Safari instead of
IE. Although I don’t think you can force users to use something they may be do
not want to, especially as it their own personal kit.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
So, it brings me to the question of how do other people/businesses deal with
the whole home worker scenario, especially when faced with hardware issues or
software upgrades gone bad? <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Regards,<o:p></o:p>
Rab.<o:p></o:p>
=============================================================<o:p></o:p>
Robert Jackson                                  Phone: +44 (0) 141 332
7999<o:p></o:p>
IT Manager                                           Fax: +44 (0) 141 331
2820<o:p></o:p>
Walker Martyn Ltd<o:p></o:p>
r...@walkermartyn.co.uk<o:p></o:p>
http://www.walkermartyn.co.uk<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

The information in this internet E-mail is confidential and is intended solely
for the addressee. Access, copying or re-use of information in it by anyone
else is unauthorised. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of Walker Martyn Ltd or any of
its affiliates. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
administra...@walkermartyn.co.uk.
Walker Martyn Ltd, company number SC197533. Company is registered in Scotland
and has its registered office at 1 Park Circus Place, Glasgow G3 6AH, UK.