Psshutdown could work...  Run it and wait for a phone call "my computer just
turned itself off". :)

From: richardmccl...@aspca.org [mailto:richardmccl...@aspca.org]
Sent: 08 June 2011 12:57
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: How to find a workstation

Thanks!

Thinking of dedicating a white board to the mapping.

I actually have gone registry hunting.

I thought of the "Description" field, and if our help desk folks would remember
to put that in and update it, it might be best.

What I'd really like is a nice big orange button.  Push it, and the machine
starts beeping...
--
richard

Bill Humphries <nt...@hedgedigger.com<mailto:nt...@hedgedigger.com>>

06/07/2011 03:08 PM
Please respond to
"NT System Admin Issues"
<ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com<mailto:ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>>

"NT System Admin Issues"
<ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com<mailto:ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>>
 Press this button if the "To" is a fax number. Enter in the fax number like
123-456-7890.

cc

Subject

Re: How to find a workstation

60 machines?  I would just use excel or visio or some graphics app to
map out workstation locations. Or add the full-time user name or
location in the description field in AD.

Quick and Dirty Way: If you have admin priviledges on the machines,
browse machine \\machine\c$<file:///\\machine\c$> and see what users have
profiles and
identify full-time user.  You could also probably do this by opening
registry remotely and taking a peak.

Bill

richardmccl...@aspca.org<mailto:richardmccl...@aspca.org> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> We have been directed to have all our workstations named with a
> department code, a location (State) code, and the Dell (mostly)
> service tag number...
>
> There is a script which will tell us, in AD, who the last person is to
> have logged into that machine.
>
> PROBLEM:
>
> 1. In the summer, we have like 18 student workers.  They must find an
> unoccupied desk.  If the "owner" of that desk comes in, they must
> move.  They have no assigned desk.  (A single user may need to move 3
> times during a single shift.)
>
> 2. SO, in my phone system console, or in my VIPRE console, I see that
> the machine named [gibberish] has had some sort of issue with the VoIP
> system, or that there is a malware infection (and we may need to boot
> into SafeMode to do a re-scan).
>
> 3. We see a temp worker was the last person to log into that
> workstation...
>
> HOW or WHAT might we use so that we can figure out which of the 60 or
> so desks actually has the machine name in question?
>
> Those who had us change our naming convention (and they have more
> users than to we) are in a situation where desktop systems are not
> shared.  We do not have this luxury.  The other location is finally
> beginning to understand our complaints.
>
> SO, is there some sort of utility, etc that would enable us to find
> the machine "[gibberish]", where "Fred Temp" was the last person
> logged in?  I'd settle for a button that would make that machine start
> beeping, if nothing else.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Richard D. McClary
> Jr Infrastructure Architect, Information Technology Group
> *ASPCA^(r) *
> 1717 S. Philo Rd, Ste 36
> Urbana, IL  61802
>
> richardmccl...@aspca.org<mailto:richardmccl...@aspca.org>
>
> P: 217-337-9761
> C: 217-417-1182
> F: 217-337-9761
> _www.aspca.org_ <http://www.aspca.org/>
>

> The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments hereto,
> is from The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to
> Animals^(r) (ASPCA^(r) ) and is intended only for use by the addressee(s)
> named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential
> information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you
> are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or
> use of the contents of this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is
> strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
> immediately notify me by reply email and permanently delete the
> original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout thereof.

> [...]

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are
If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither
take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone.
error. QinetiQ may monitor email traffic data and also the content of
email for the purposes of security. QinetiQ Limited (Registered in
England & Wales: Company Number: 3796233) Registered office: Cody Technology
Park, Ively Road, Farnborough, Hampshire, GU14 0LX http://www.qinetiq.com.