Have you cleared his Internet cache, have you checked the hard drive for
space and fragmentation, and have you checked that they did not just delete
an installed file instead of removing it?  I always try looking at the
simple things and go from there where possible.  It does sound like an
infection and you did not do a full reinstall so it is possible you still
have something left like a keystroke logger or maybe a backdoor on the
system.  I would look at all the possiblities not just the most likely in
this case.  It maybe the system drive is full or that the hardware is
failing.  You also at this point need to be looking at the network traffic
that is passing into and out of the system.  If there is limited or no
traffic it could indicate a failing hardware or a need to reinstall the
sockets.  If all else fails try reinstalling from known good and go from
there.

Jon