couple more questions:

1)  if imported geo does not already have UV's, will UVproject create a
new set or does it require them to...replace them ?

2)  if you've imported an obj sequence with UV's already on (for an
animated, deformable piece of geo)... and your using a static camera (say
a single frame of your shot camera)... is there a way to do something akin
to Maya's "texture reference object" whereby the UV's are changed based on
this static camera, for all the subsequent frames of the obj sequence ?

..sorry if I'm too verbose...that was sort of a stream of consciousness
question.  Basically I'm asking if there is an easier way then my current
method where I export an obj sequence with UV's, project3D on a single
frame, render with scanline to unwrapped UV, then input that into the full
obj sequence to get my "paint" to stick throughout.

oy, sorry again.

Ari
Blue Sky