Similar thing happened when highend3d decided to kill their mailing lists,
I setup a google group for maya, been plain sailing ever since.

Biggest difference is the primary intent; google groups is a mailing list
first, with a nice web interface for posting and searching if you're that
way inclined. Because the main way to interact with the list is inherently
limited and minimal (ie, you send an email), any email you get back in
return is clean and minimal.

All the forum platforms I've seen are forums first, pushing web 2.0 social
media agendas. Profile pics! Friends! Likes! Hashtags! It's fiddly and
clicky even within the web interface. Mapping that onto email gets messy
quickly.

Get off my lawn forum kids!  *shakes fist*

-matt