On 06/30/2017 03:04 PM, CJ Carey wrote:
> Is it feasible/desirable to provide a doctest runner that ignores
> whitespace? That would allow downstream projects to fix their doctests on
> 1.14+ with a one-line change, without breaking tests on 1.13.

Good idea. I have already implemented this actually, see the updated PR.
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/9139/

Whether or not the sign position is padded can now be controlled by setting

    >>> np.set_printoptions(pad_sign=True)
    >>> np.set_printoptions(pad_sign=False)

When pad_sign is True, it gives the old behavior, except for size-1
arrays where it still omits the sign position. (Maybe I should limit it
even more, to 0d arrays?)

When pad_sign is False (currently default in the PR), it removes the
sign padding everywhere if possible.

Allan