On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 7:23 PM, Juan Nunez-Iglesias <jni.s...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I do have sympathy for Ralf’s argument that "exact repr's are not part of
the NumPy (or Python for that matter) backwards compatibility guarantees”.
But it is such a foundational project in Scientific Python that I think
extreme care is warranted, beyond any official guarantees. (Hence this
thread, yes. Thank you!)

I would also like to make another distinction here: I don't think anyone's
actual *code* has broken because of this change. To my knowledge, it is
only downstream projects' *doctests* that break. This might deserve *some*
care on our part (beyond notification and keeping it out of a 1.x.y bugfix
release), but "extreme care" is just not warranted.

> Anyway, all this is (mostly) moot if the next NumPy ships with this
doctest++ thingy. That would be an enormously valuable contribution to the
whole ecosystem.

I'd recommend just making an independent project on Github and posting it
as its own project to PyPI when you think it's ready. We'll link to it in
our documentation. I don't think that it ought to be part of numpy and
stuck on our release cadence.

--
Robert Kern