> I have to agree with Mathew here, to a point.  There has been discussions of
> these groups before, but I don't recall any announcement of this group.  Of
> course, now that it has been announced, maybe a link to it should be
> prominent on the numpy/scipy pages(maybe others?).  It should also be in the
> list of mailing lists.

I'm happy for all these discussions to be in the open.

> A funding org much like the Linux Foundation would be great, and I am all for
> it.  A separate governing committee is also important, and I think we had
> some very good ideas in previous discussions.
>
> I also have to agree with Matthew's concerns about the concentration of
> developer resources at Continuum.  I think that establishing a
> community-driven governance committee would be crucial in making sure that
> Continuum's (and Enthought's??) efforts go to serve both the community and
> the company's customers.

I can try and re-assure you that all will be well, but I know that time is the
only thing that will prove that out as each one will decide for themselves
whether or not their input is valued and acted upon.   To provide some
perspective, for the next 5 months at least, Continuum will be providing 3.5
people at least 50% to the NumPy project plus dev ops help to get issue
tracking and continuous build integration set up.    After that we will have at
least 1.5 people devoted full-time to the open-source NumPy project (more if
possible).    I would like this support to actually go through the Foundation
(which already has a community governance and non-profit mission statement),
but this takes some leg-work in getting the Foundation setup and organizing
those contracts.   But, that is my intent and what I am working to get in place
eventually.

Obviously, the fact that I am deeply involved in NumPy complicates the question
of "community governance" for some people, but I hope you will trust that we
are just trying to improve NumPy as we understand it.   I remain interested in
others views of what "improving NumPy" means.   But, I do have a long list of
ideas that I am anxious to get started on.

> Travis, in about a month, I will be starting up work at a company that has
> been users of the SciPy stack, but has not been active members of the
> community.  I wish to change that. Will this Funding committee serve as a
> face for numpy for private companies?

Absolutely.   The Foundation web-site is getting set up right now.  It will be
an evolving thing, and your feedback about how the Foundation can help you get
your company involved will be very helpful.    I would like multiple companies
to interact through the Foundation, and that is how I would ultimately like
Continuum to interact with the community as well.   The fact that Continuum
employs people who work on NumPy should be no more concerning than the fact
that Google employs people that work on Python, or that Enthought employs
people who work on SciPy and NumPy.   I recognize that my role in NumPy, the
Foundation, and my company may be concerning for some.   I firmly believe that
NumPy is successful because of everybody who has participated.  I am not
interested in somehow changing that.   I just want to do what I can to
accelerate it.

I look forward to working with you and your company in the Foundation.

Best regards,

-Travis