On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.har...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 2:14 PM, <josef.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Sebastian Berg
>> <sebast...@sipsolutions.net> wrote:

>> > The question is if the current xor behaviour can make sense? It doesn't
>> > seem to make much sense mathematically? Which only leaves that `abs(x -
>> > y)` is actually what a (python) programmer might expect.
>> > I think I would like to deprecate at least the unary one. The ~ kind of
>> > behaviour just doesn't fit as far as I can see.
>>
>> I haven't seen any real use cases for xor yet.
>

> Using it instead of '+' yields a boolean ring instead of semi-ring. Papers
> from the first quarter of the last century used it pretty often on that
> account, hence 'sigma-rings', etc. Eventually the simplicity of the
> inclusive or overcame that tendency.
>
>> My impression is that both plus and minus are just overflow accidents
>> and not intentional. plus works in a useful way, minus as xor might be
>> used once per century.
>

> It's certainly weird given that '+' means the inclusive or. I think '^' is
> much preferable.
> Although it makes some sense if one can keep the semantics straight.
> Complicated, though.

I'm looking at the test failure with allclose

Looks like - as xor still makes sense in some cases, because it
doesn't need special cases for equality checks for example.
x - y == 0 iff x == y

What happens to np.diff?

>>> np.diff(m1)
array([False,  True, False], dtype=bool)

I'm using code like that to get the length of runs in a runstest.

But in my current code, I actually have astype(int) and also use
floats later on.
If I read my (incompletely documented) code correctly, I needed also
the sign not just the run length.

Just another argument what minus could be.

Josef