I think it's clear that develop/-e does not work well together with
namespace packages. As noted on the relevant matplotlib issue
https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues/4907 I think the issue with
namespace packages is essentially this well known one
https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/3 which I think I agree with Chris is
enough to drop namespace packages if possible.

>From the output of pip install -e I would say that it clear that it calls
develop.

Since pip install -e and and pip install uses fundamentally different ways
of manage namespace packages they can't work together.
In the case of matplotlib issue #4907 basemap is probably installed into
the namespace with pip install while matplotlib is installed with pip
install -e
which clearly triggers the issue in https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/3

best
Jens