Hi Chris,

 It seems from your email message that your plugin is located in
$NUTCH_HOME/build/custom-meta? Is this where your plugin * code * is
currently stored? If so, this is the wrong location and the most likely
reason that your plugin isn't being loaded.

 Plugin code should live in $NUTCH_HOME/src/plugins, so in your case, you'd
have /usr/local/nutch-0.8/src/plugin/custom-meta, with the underlying plugin
code dir structure underneath there. Then, to deploy your plugin to the
build directory (which is $NUTCH_HOME/build/plugins), you would type: ant
deploy.

Give this a shot and see if that fixes it.

Cheers,
  Chris