Hmmm...I read with interest a while ago that some of the list members are
interested in adding wireless capabilities to the Subway, but since adding
repeaters to the 24 hour underground sections would be difficult it was
not deemed practical.  However, I am just curious to the prospects of
adding Wireless LAN capabilties to the Long Island Railroad
or Metro North Right-of-ways (ROWs).   These tend to be on specialized
embarkments or on flat ground, and they tend to go through relatively
prosperous and educated communities where notebooks and handhelds are
widely used, and most LIRR coaches (The M1s and M2s) have at least one
power outlet on each car.

a) Is it technically feasible to use APs to access networking resources on
a train traveling at 60mph traveling aboveground?
b)  Are there people with access to broadband and APs who happens to be
living near the tracks and are willing to make their nodes available?
c) Are there any legal problems with putting up APs near these ROWs?