pardon me, but wep does not work "as designed", unless you are
claiming its design goal was to not provide any real security over
non-wep.

wep is a better example of "the failure of the standards process"
than of "works as designed".

wep's inexcusable flaw is that 40 bit wep provides the same level of
security as 128 bit wep due to the reuse of the rapid reuse of the
keystream of a stream cipher.

i entirely expect that manufacturers who made claims that 128 bit wep
provided enhanced or additional security will be the subject of class
actions in the next few years.  (at first they were wrong, but at some
point, they were just lying to consumers.)