At 14:44 27/06/2002, Michael Sims wrote:
>On Thursday 27 June 2002 02:10 am, Justin Cobb wrote:
>
> > Like many of you, I recieved a Cease and Desist letter from TWC/RR as
> > well.
> >
> > The problem I have though, is that I was never running a node. Ever.
> > Indeed, I do not own, nor have I ever owned, a single piece of wireless
> > networking equipment.
>
>It seems clear that TWC (or a company hired by TWC, more likely) has
>skimmed the database and sent letters to everyone they could identify.
>
>This illustrates an attack on public wireless, which needs to be defended
>against: listings of nodes should NOT include ISP information or
>significant identifying information about the operator, and various
>techniques need to be explored to get the whole wireless cloud concept
>really operational, with the goal of reducing the exposure of any one
>participant.

Well, I would be the company hired by TWC for this, I would just go out
with a laptop to each of those locations and do a quick traceroute and
other simple tests to find out a) which ISP is used and b) the IP address
used. With that it's pretty simple to find customers of TWC.

Of course, there are ways to defeat that using pretty simple IPsec VPN
setups...

>And of course, no one who really cares about their internet access should
>obtain it from TWC or any other consumer-oriented company.  TWC is used
>to being able to up their profit margins by cutting the services provided
>to customers (slice a channel here, a channel there, make this one
>premium...), and this mentality carries over to internet access.  Verizon
>is the same way.  B2B-oriented companies do not have the same mentality,
>nor do many small ISPs.

Set-up a coop to buy wholesale DSL and a transit connection :-)

Jacques.