On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Dustin Goodwin wrote:

> The Cooperative Wholesale model being pursued in Philly does *not*
> require tax payer dollars for funding and does *not* compete with
> private enterprise. In fact it encourages competition and provides
> mechanism for non-profits to offer affordable broadband to those
> struggling up the socioeconomic ladder.
That's good. But that's not what the petition in question was for.
"Demanding affordable intarweb" is like demanding free lunch. The language
used in this petition ("working families") smells of communism. The
stretch of imagination that internet is anything like gas, water or
electricity is giant. The request for mayor to "invest in the future" does
sound like something my tax dollars will be used for (otherwise, just
*who* is investing?).

> Municipal broadband does *not* mean free wifi paid for by tax payers. If
> you look closely at the the Philly business model they are not planning
> to give away anything or use tax payer dollars. I am not a communist and
> I do not support municipal, state or federal government competing with
> private enterprise. I do believe that the cable/telco duopoly must be
> broken if we want real competition and not the sham we currently have.
> If we let history be our guide industries controlled by two
> mega-corporations often end up with collusion and price fixing . Do you
> want Verizon and Time Warner dictating what you pay for broadband? Or
> worse dictating how your business may offer services and what your
> allowed to charge your customers? Sounds like communism... da?
> Competitively priced broadband is good for our city/country economically
> and socially.
I agree. But that's not what the petition in question was for.

> Currently the city is pursuing a poll top franchise system that is yet
> to lead to anything but a few of the usual suspects writing checks to
> the city. Council person Gail Brewer has recently held hearings in her
> Technology in Government committee on the creation of broadband policy
> task force that will draw public and private representation. The task
> force will, if approved, be tasked with producing a report on the
> "technical, legal, environmental and economical feasibility of providing
> affordable broadband access to all New York City residents, nonprofit
> organizations and businesses.". If the city council approves the
> creation of this task force, we will finally have a forum in which to
> debate this and other strategies. Please read below to get a better
> understanding of how municipal broadband can provide competition,
> affordable broadband for New York's neediest and is not done at tax
> payer expense.
I know that. But that's not what the petition was for.