The puddles on Hulbert Rd received a much-needed shot of rain yesterday and
today, probably over an inch.  They are now nearly as full as I have seen
them this summer.  This morning there was a big increase in the shorebirds
as well, since my last check on Wednesday afternoon.  The highlights were
one UPLAND SANDPIPER, two adult AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS partially molted
toward winter plumage, and one lovely juvenile STILT SANDPIPER.  As with the
first Upland Sandpiper here a few weeks ago, this bird was detected by its
call as it flew overhead, and also like that first bird, it landed in a
field (across the street) but not near the puddles.  It will likely be
difficult to find again.  The Golden-Plovers flew off toward the south but
may return as there is probably other habitat in the area.  Here is the list
with approximate numbers:

Killdeer - many
Semi. Plover - 7
Amer. Golden-Plover - 2
Upland Sandpiper - 1
Greater Yellowlegs - 1
Lesser Yellowlegs - 7
Pectoral Sandpiper - 2
Stilt Sandpiper - 1
Semi. Sandpiper - 2
Least Sandpiper - 10

There were also several dozen PURPLE MARTINS along Hulbert Road, as well as
Barn and Bank Swallows.

Good birding!
Willie
Willie D'Anna