Another interesting day in Sullivan. The GREAT CORMORANT continues at the
Bashakill WMA.  It was seen by at least a dozen people both this morning and
this afternoon.  I am really hoping the bird survives the accelerated hunting
that takes place each weekend at this time of year.  Due to the area he
frequents, I think he stands a good chance of evading the hunters.  Also of
note are the shorebirds at Swan Lake.  It is starting to seem late to me, but
at least 25 Wilson's Snipe, one Pectoral Sandpiper, one Dunlin and one Killdeer
continue there.  Ruddy Ducks and Green-winged Teal are abundant in several
locations.  PINE SISKINS continue to increase in number, Scott Baldinger had at
least 70 at his feeders.  The birds of the day (for me at least) were two
swallows that flew by the hawk watch tower at 2:56 pm today.  They were dark
above, buff brown below, short square tails and rounded wings.  I am absolutely
certain they were CAVE SWALLOWS!!  Though I was unable to discern any pale rump
(dark clouds and rain just north of the tower made lighting very bad) I also
saw no white forehead indicative of Cliff Swallow and all other species of
swallow were easily ruled out. One might argue that juvenile Cliff Swallow
might have a dark forehead, but the likelihood of that species is so slim I am
confident of my identification.  I left the tower immediately as the birds flew
down the ridge directly toward the Bashakill which is only 8 miles away and
clearly visible from the tower.  In spite of a long vigilance until near dark,
no swallows ever showed at the Bash. I can only hope these or others will show
and be seen by others over the weekend.  Also of note were 4 GOLDEN EAGLES at
the Hawk Watch this afternoon.  John Haas