I completely agree with Rob and Mardi. I just want to add what I witnessed
today - there were several birders as far out as the second dune and a
walker with a dog off of the leash within 50-75 meters of one of the owls
(it appeared that the walker had no idea the owl was there). My trip to
Breezy Point today was my first time being there and I did not notice the
'dunes closed' sign until I was on my way out. Perhaps the photographers
did not know the dunes were closed? I find that statement hard to believe
with the two time offender, but possibly the other two individuals were
just not properly informed? I think that it is a bit unfair to single out
photographers as problem individuals when both birders and other
individuals in the field for other reasons are equally as problematic. If
any of the photographers identified earlier are reading this thread -
simply bird (and photograph) ethically and these issues won't come about.

Also, thank you to the original poster of the Breezy Point owls as it was
one of my most memorable sightings as a birder in NYC.

Best,
Matt