I was just about to post the same question about purpose, since the group
rules state:

"The primary purpose of the List is to disseminate information about wild
bird sightings in and around New York State in a timely manner and to
provide an effective electronic forum for New York State area birders."

Instead of having respectful and ethical birders miss the opportunity to
see rare birds, we apparently need to police our own.

I also know that the ethics of birding also calls for using discretion when
revealing locations of rarities.  It would be unwise to post location
information to a generic website, but isn't that what this list is really
for?

I have seen as many "birders" as other clueless folks get too close to
birds, or cross onto private property, or just behave badly when trying to
see a rarity.

I treasure this list, and others like it, that allow folks to see birds
they wouldn't normally know about, or get to see in their lifetime!  I've
also done my share of reporting the folks who either break rules or laws in
the course of trying to see a bird.  I will continue to do that, and I hope
to also continue learning about the rarities and other information from
this list.

I hope the location posts continue.  It would be sad to deprive the "good"
birders of this information.

Nadine