I've seen the same kind of behavior with folks trying to photograph seals
and getting too close, or trying to flush the, from haulout sites. Educating
these folks and having the MMPA as a threat goes a long way to help reduce
the offensive behavior.

I thoroughly understand the pique we all feel at those who have absolutely
no respect for the ecosystems upon which they trod and within which they are
photographing, but let's remember that these folks don't represent the
majority. I think that it would be a shame to stop posting information about
owls, or other interesting birds/wildlife.  Perhaps one could post  the
general vicinity (e.g., Jones Beach, Breezy Point, etc.) within posting the
specifics, and your images are geotagged, perhaps you can post them with
minimal EXIF data embedded.  If one is interested in the specifics, they can
email the poster and request that info.

Artie

Arthur H. Kopelman, Ph. D.
President,

Coastal Research and Education Society of Long Island
 <mailto:presid...@cresli.org> presid...@cresli.org
 <http://www.cresli.org/> www.cresli.org
631-244-3352

( e-mails scanned for viruses before sending)

"When the last individual of a race of living thing breathes no more,

another heaven and another earth

must pass before such a one can be again" ......  William Beebee

P Be kind to the environment - unless you need to, please don't print this
e-mail