Friday's rain storm turned the Bronx River into an amazing sight as it rushed
through NYBG. The rain filled the forest with babbling brooks and turned the
waterfall into a spectacular rush of water. Even though a small iron fence
separates you from the waterfall the motion of the water, spray and sound were
breathtaking. Anyone who wants to see nature in action should go to NYBG today
or Tuesday before the fury subsides.

Highlights from my Saturday morning bird walk:  we saw a Catbird chasing a
chipmunk in a crabapple tree; Cedar waxwings were everywhere; a Bald Eagle
soared over the Bronx River while an Eastern Peewee continuously called from a
branch above the water.

Bald eagle - immature
Cedar waxwings- many & everywhere
Eastern Peewee-1
Warbling Vireo-4 nests w birds
Chimney Swift-1
Red bellied woodpecker -2
Baltimore oriole-2
Green heron-1
Mallard-1
Song sparrow-3
Grackle-4
Red winged blackbird-1
American Robin-many
Red tailed hawk-3
Mockingbird-1
House Wren-2 nesting
Cardinal-3
American Goldfinch-3
Mourning Dove-2
Cormorant -1

There appears to be an absence of Eastern Kingbirds at NYBG and an increase of
Warbling Vireos. Usually Eastern Kingbirds nest in the Sycamore trees along the
Bronx River. Yesterday, we spotted four Warbling Vireo nests in the Sycamores
but not one Eastern Kingbird.

Good Birding,
Debbie Becker
BirdingAroundNYC.com