Some of these questions are answered on the ABA Listing & Taxonomy
website:  https://www.aba.org/listing-taxonomy/ and
https://www.aba.org/aba-recording-rules-and-interpretations/

Example:
RULE 4: Diagnostic characteristics, sufficient for the recorder to identify
it to species, must have been seen and/or heard and/or documented for the
bird encountered.

A. “Diagnostic characteristics” means the natural characteristics needed to
uniquely determine the species of the bird. It is not necessary to
experience every possible diagnostic characteristic, but simply sufficient
characteristics to eliminate the possibility of the bird being any other
species.

(i) Identification of the bird may be made after the initial encounter. It
is not always possible to secure a positive identification initially, but,
using physical and/or written documentation, identification is sometimes
possible after the fact, upon consultation of references and/or other
authorities. With very tricky identifications, for example, photographs or
recordings sometimes reveal minute, yet critical, details that were not
discernible during the initial encounter. Furthermore, our knowledge of how
to separate similar species in the field is continually advancing. On rare
occasions, a species may not be identifiable until after it has been
captured and studied in the hand, or had feather and blood samples
analyzed. In such instances of “after-the-fact” ID, the bird may be counted
on one’s lists.

Donna

*Donna L. SchulmanForest Hills, NY queensgir...@gmail.com
<queensgir...@gmail.com>*