Yes, using a PIN instead of a password would work as well. The general
principle is that the user is using a "remembered shared secret" to sign
the request to prove they "know" it. The OAuth signature mechanism
provides a convenient way to do the "proof".

One interesting question about your PIN idea is whether a PIN should be
associated with a Consumer via some other, out-of-band provisioning
process (i.e. the PIN is specific to the Consumer token). Or whether a
PIN should be associated with a set of generic authorization
capabilities. This is more useful if a user has only a few identities
and a central way to manage authorization. In the current model of each
SP also being the IdP for it's service, using a PIN model just increases
the number of "shared secrets" the user has to remember. However, it
does provide a way to authorize limited capabilities that passwords don't.

As for software asking for passwords, I believe this has a relatively
narrow scope. For instance the AOL desktop client asking for the AOL
password. I agree that we should move away from the current model where
Facebook asks for the AOL password when finding friends.

Thanks,
George