The PIN could actually be delivered out of band at the time of
authorization (via SMS, for example).

I agree that more shared secrets doesn't necessarily help things, but
it's like FriendFeed's Remote Key... I'm not a huge fan of it since it
puts the burden on the user to remember yet another SS, but insomuch
as a PIN could enable a smoother desktop experience, as you've
described, it might be worth prototyping at least.

Chris