On Apr 24, 1:04 am, Josh Fraser <joshf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Manish,
>
> I may be leading you astray regarding the importance of the callback.
> Forgive me as I struggle to wrap my head around all of this.

Who isnt struggling to wrap their heads around this..its 1:30a and I
cant sleep :)

> Don't requests for access tokens need to be signed with the consumer
> secret?  This means that an attacker needs the victim to return to the
> consumer site to complete the handshake because the attacker doesn't
> have the secret to make that request himself.  Right?

Yep - thats right. However, the elements of the signature have to be
the ones that both provider and consumer are aware of (except RSA-SHA1
where the private/pub keys replace the shared secret). None of the
parameters can be used to sign a request that either parties are
unaware of, as the provider has to "reconstruct" the signature to
verify the incoming request. The attacker will need access to the
shared secret (or the private key) and token secret (if applicable) to
property sign the request - none of these are sent on the wire. Does
this confirm your understanding?

-cheers,
Manish