w/r/t attempt-limiting, You can limit the attempts based on the token
that the consumer is attempting to exchange.

Also, I've noticed that there isn't much difference between the two
methods. A request token is essentially an alias, known to both the
consumer and service provider, for the following parameters:

    oauth_consumer_key
    oauth_signature
    oauth_signature_method
    oauth_timestamp
    oauth_nonce
    oauth_version

So request tokens hide all (or most) of these parameters behind a
simple string alias, giving the user a more simple URL (maybe with the
additional oauth_callback, oauth_signature and oauth_signature_method
parameters).

But to be honest, my major gripe with the Signed Approval URL system
is that it leaves it up to the client to do what would be usually done
by the consumer. So what happens if this request fails? If the
consumer were using request tokens, then it would know that it
couldn't get a request token and might be able to display a customized
error message to the user (something like 'We seem to be having
issues.'). However, allowing the user to get the 401 Unauthorized
error from the Service Provider might seem a little odd for the user;
what's worse, the consumer wouldn't have a clue anything was wrong
until an irate user sent them an e-mail complaining (whereas, if
getting the request token failed, the system administrators might get
an e-mail from their application).

My interest in this mostly centers around the fact that I'm currently
implementing an OAuth consumer, and I'm also the maintainer of an
unpopular OAuth client library for Python. But I thought it a good
idea to throw this into the conversation.

Regards,
Zack